[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

Northern Cadet gassion_de_beaumarchais at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:10:08 PDT 2007

I'd rather see us treat gauntlets differently that our current rules provide
for.  I think the main thing I would change is to re-classify them.  I think
it would be better to consider them as armour rather than as a secondary.
They would retain their current rulings for rapier play except that during
armour as worn tournaments they could be used in a more historic context.

My reasoning here is that SCA rules allow for altered blow calling during
armour armour as worn tournaments.  This would allow gauntlets to be proof
from damage during blade grabbing techniques, even if the blade moves in
your hand.  This would satisfy SCA and Kingdom rules and allow the addition
of a period technique currently not allowed.

I'm not suggesting that we should allow wrestling for control of blades.

Even if my suggestion isn't something the Kingdom wants to consider I think
gauntlets should still be allowed on the field if for no other reason than
for costuming purposes.  With no advantages in combat not many people will
want to wear them, but some people don't worry about wins and losses and may
want to wear them just for the look.

Lord Gassion de Beaumarchais
Cadet to Don James Francis Navarre
Mooneschadowe Insegnante

Control thyself, or be ruled by another...