[Ansteorra-rapier] Cloak play question

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Oct 12 05:44:19 PDT 2007

Henri wrote:

> My opinion of the whole deal is simple. Why throw your only addition weapon?

For several possible reasons:

A move that takes out my cloak and his rapier, even if it only lasts for one half second, is a winning move.

A move that draws his eyes away from me, even if it only lasts for one half second, is a winning move.

A move that hides what I'm doing completely, even if it only lasts for one half second, is a winning move.

It's a fun, flamboyant move.

It's a period move.  Di Grassi describes throwing the cloak.

Finally, a cloak in the hands of a fighter whose not yet used to it can distract him more than his enemy.  His best option is to try to throw it on the enemy's rapier.  If it succeeds, he wins the fight.  If he fails, then he still got rid of the distraction, by using the cloak in a period fashion.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin