[Ansteorra-rapier] Ansteorra-rapier Digest, Vol 17, Issue 10

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Fri Oct 12 05:45:16 PDT 2007

Henri said:

Even though I have been inactive because of my series of surgeries, I am a
cloak fighter and florentine. I have to wait until I'm recovered.

  My opinion of the whole deal is simple. Why throw your only addition
weapon?

  Don Henri Molineaux

---------------------

I agree that throwing "away" a weapon is not a wise move. If it were a
dagger or florentine, I certainly wouldn't (regardless of rules forbidding
such an action).  However, I don't think most use cloak as a "weapon", but
as a defensive-only secondary.  I'm not losing a weapon, I'm losing a
different way of defending myself.  My main line of defense, my blade, is
still with me, along with my primary weapon.  Also, when I fight cloak, I'm
usually using a large, wool & flannel full cloak that is rather weighty.
It's not as bad as Mercer's, which is dang near a comforter, but there's a
heck of a lot of cloth and weight to it.  If I throw it from long measure
onto an opponent's blade & arm while moving into range, I has a significant
impact on the use of their blade.  I still have a defensive secondary (my
open hand) if I want it.  Or it can be thrown as a distraction.  The
reasoning isn't the question, it's the ruling.

Ld. Corvin