[Ansteorra-rapier] Ansteorra-rapier Digest, Vol 17, Issue 10

Jeff Girard donhenri at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 06:10:07 PDT 2007

All righty then. It seems I am not getting through. I was the intermediate and advanced teacher at AoR for a number if years. I also was the intermediate and advanced florentine teacher as well.

  So there my bonifides.

  The cloak is a tool. Used effectively you can do much more by NOT throwing the cloak. That goes for small cloaks, short cloaks, heavy cloak or anything else that fits the description of cloak.

  Don Henri Molineaux

Kevin Wilson <kevwilson at swbell.net> wrote:
  Henri said:

Even though I have been inactive because of my series of surgeries, I am a
cloak fighter and florentine. I have to wait until I'm recovered.

My opinion of the whole deal is simple. Why throw your only addition
weapon?

Don Henri Molineaux

---------------------

I agree that throwing "away" a weapon is not a wise move. If it were a
dagger or florentine, I certainly wouldn't (regardless of rules forbidding
such an action). However, I don't think most use cloak as a "weapon", but
as a defensive-only secondary. I'm not losing a weapon, I'm losing a
different way of defending myself. My main line of defense, my blade, is
still with me, along with my primary weapon. Also, when I fight cloak, I'm
usually using a large, wool & flannel full cloak that is rather weighty.
It's not as bad as Mercer's, which is dang near a comforter, but there's a
heck of a lot of cloth and weight to it. If I throw it from long measure
onto an opponent's blade & arm while moving into range, I has a significant
impact on the use of their blade. I still have a defensive secondary (my
open hand) if I want it. Or it can be thrown as a distraction. The
reasoning isn't the question, it's the ruling.

Ld. Corvin