[Ansteorra-rapier] Cloak play question

davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Fri Oct 12 19:01:30 PDT 2007

  At 04:00 PM 10/12/2007, you wrote:

I don't recall that discussion, but off the top of my head I would say:

With a cloak you can whack someone's bade out of the way.
You cannot whack or pop the other fighter with your cloak.
Incidental/Accidental contact with the fighter is no a problem (so long as no incident results)
You can pass your cloak in front of a fighter's face to briefly block their vision.
You cannot cover a fighter's eyes so as to blind them.
You may toss your cloak to the side, behind the other fighter or between you and him.
You can toss your cloak onto the other fighter's weapon.
Incidental/Accidental contact with his arm is no a problem (so long as no incident results)
You cannot use your cloak as a projectile to hit the other fighter. (I agree this is a dumb restriction -- I like this tactic and have used it safely many times in the past.)

Okay, if it's a dumb restriction, why is it in the rules?

Cloaks *are* legal to be thrown, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. A thrown cloak is extremely unlikely to injure someone. If I throw a cloak at my opponent's blade and happen to hit his arm, too, does that mean the marshals are going to call me down for it?

<shrug> I have, upon occasion, wadded my cloak up like a ball and bounced it off my opponent's chest as a distraction. It hits a lot softer than a blade.

I know of *one* incident where a "thrown" cloak had the potential to injure someone. David Gallowgalss was fighting with his full length wool cloak. At one point, he flipped it behind him and continued to fight single-blade. Unbeknownst to David, the other end of the cloak landed in a puddle and started sucking up water. When he flipped it forward to parry, the cloak (now heavier by several pounds of water) flew out of his hand, hit his opponent in the chest and knocked him on his rear.

        -Tivar Moondragon

Tivar, do you recall who my opponent was that got splatted?
I know it was at College Station, outside the Student Union on
a paving stone surface, at a demo for either WarCon or AggieCon,
but I cannot recall who I was fighting.DRAT this memory of mine!David Gallowglass