[Ansteorra-rapier] death by cloak

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:18:46 PDT 2007

At 08:55 PM 10/12/2007, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/12/2007 8:32:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
>dontivar at gmail.com writes:
>Okay, if it's a dumb restriction, why is it in the rules?
>Cloaks *are* legal to be thrown, otherwise we wouldn't be having
>this discussion at all. A thrown cloak is extremely unlikely to
>injure someone. If I throw a cloak at my opponent's blade and happen
>to hit his arm, too, does that mean the marshals are going to call
>me down for it?
><shrug> I have, upon occasion, wadded my cloak up like a ball and
>bounced it off my opponent's chest as a distraction. It hits a lot
>softer than a blade.
>I know of *one* incident where a "thrown" cloak had the potential to
>injure someone. David Gallowgalss was fighting with his full length
>wool cloak. At one point, he flipped it behind him and continued to
>fight single-blade. Unbeknownst to David, the other end of the cloak
>landed in a puddle and started sucking up water. When he flipped it
>forward to parry, the cloak (now heavier by several pounds of water)
>flew out of his hand, hit his opponent in the chest and knocked him
>on his rear.
>         -Tivar Moondragon
>
>Cloaks can not be thrown because they are unsafe. There was once a
>guy named Tivar that was killed by a wadded up cloak. I am surprised
>that we can even bring cloaks anywhere near the field.
>;o)
>Pieter

Nope, sorry, wrong story. Here's what really happened:

I was fighting Little Conner. We were using cloaks. At one point I
was holding my cloak in a somewhat rolled-up fashion, so that its
diameter was about the same as my dagger grip. Conner violated Rule
#1 (Never rush Tivar when he's carrying a dagger) and my instincts
took over. I stepped back, and thrust my dagger-shaped cloak at his
head. When my hand was about a foot from his head, I realized that I
didn't *have* a dagger in that hand, and stopped the blow.

We both had a good laugh about it.

         -Tivar Moondragon