[Ansteorra-rapier] death by cloak

DonPieter at aol.com DonPieter at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 18:55:45 PDT 2007

In a message dated 10/12/2007 8:32:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
dontivar at gmail.com writes:

Okay, if  it's a dumb restriction, why is it in the rules?

Cloaks *are* legal to  be thrown, otherwise we wouldn't be having this
discussion at all. A thrown  cloak is extremely unlikely to injure someone. If I
throw a cloak at my  opponent's blade and happen to hit his arm, too, does that
mean the marshals  are going to call me down for it?

<shrug> I have, upon occasion,  wadded my cloak up like a ball and bounced it
off my opponent's chest as a  distraction. It hits a lot softer than a blade.

I know of *one*  incident where a "thrown" cloak had the potential to injure
someone. David  Gallowgalss was fighting with his full length wool cloak. At
one point, he  flipped it behind him and continued to fight single-blade.
Unbeknownst to  David, the other end of the cloak landed in a puddle and started
sucking up  water. When he flipped it forward to parry, the cloak (now heavier
by several  pounds of water) flew out of his hand, hit his opponent in the
chest and  knocked him on his rear.

-Tivar  Moondragon

Cloaks can not be thrown because they are unsafe. There was once a guy  named
Tivar that was killed by a wadded up cloak. I am surprised that we can  even
bring cloaks anywhere near the field.
;o)
Pieter