[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Fri Oct 12 18:45:13 PDT 2007

 James Crouchet wrote: Let me see if I can clear up a couple of things.

First a few more bits on the rules:
"Armor as worn" does not negate hand damage on a grab. There is no exception to that rule. So no, we cannot game our way around it.
The use of mail gauntlets is always optional. You and your opponent must always agree on ALL weapons so if you object to gauntlets, tell your opponent.

Second, It is my job to decide what our rapier rules mean. That does not mean I get to make them mean whatever I want them to mean , nor does it mean taking a poll and going with whatever people think would be the most fun. If it were up to me we would have reduced armor standards, buckler punches and no restrictions on mixing blades. However, I know that is not what the rules say and not what was intended.

I have asked the Deputy Society Marshal for Rapier (DSMR) for his interpretation of this. I have also asked the other KRMs for their advice. I am interested in what the KRMs have to say, but the real question here is whether the DSMR believes that the armored as worn rules can override the hand damage rule on blade grabbing. If not than I do not have the option of changing this.

Finally, even if I have the ok from the DSMR, I am not convinced there is a safe and playable answer to my primary concern with this rule: the responses of the person who's blade is grabbed. Unless we want to make having your blade grabbed equal a fatal blow I must consider:
What ways are fighters likely to react to having their blades grabbed by and uncuttable hand, and are any of those a problem?
If a fighter manages to grab his opponent's blade as Robin suggests -- what then?
Are there any safe, effective, legal responses to having your blade grabbed by someone who's hand cannot be cut?

Let go of your blade, step back out of range, draw your dagger, step in while your opponent is still trying to figure out where to toss your rapier, rip his guts out with your dagger.
Unfortunately, under our rules, your opponent is not allowed to use the period response of bashing you with the hilt of your sword.

David Gallowglass
If you think this should change then please help me address those questions.

Christian Doré, KRM