[Ansteorra-rapier] Ansteorra-rapier Digest, Vol 17, Issue 12

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Fri Oct 12 10:26:55 PDT 2007

Puck said:

Hola,

I once heard a prominent white scarf mock the idea of invitations at an
academy.  "Why would I want someone to try to hit me?"

Well...  I didn't want to burst his bubble, but invitations and the
 logic
behind them have been around longer than any of us have.  That brings
 me to
my point.  There's nothing new under the sun.

There are historical examples of cloak throwing in Fabris and he wasn't
exactly a lightweight when it comes to theory.  Likewise, Pacheco
 includes
Spanish counters to Fabris' cloak tricks (which I have been known to
 share
with people that attend KWARs).

Any fencing technique has loss, benefit, and complete list of counters.
(For example, an invitation closes some lines to expose others but make
 the
corresponding defensive or counteroffensive decision easier.)

That fact doesn't invalidate them so much as it requires the proper
application of strategy and tactics.  Recognize what you gain and lose
 like
any other technique and implement it only when appropriate.

Dang you Puck, I was just about to write about Fabris' mentioning throwing
 the cloak.  I didn't realize Pacheco made counters, though, you seem to
have neglected to show those at the stuff of yours I've been to.

I agree with Robin, though, if you're inexperienced with cloak, the best thing
to do with it is lose it.  Doing so in a flashy, hopefully disruptive (to the
opponent) way is even better.

Corvin