[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

Northern Cadet gassion_de_beaumarchais at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:48:50 PDT 2007

Our current rules allow for momentary grabs only, i.e. long enough to move
the blade off line.  A person that has had their blade grabed need only
servive a few seconds before being able to do something with thier weapon.
I feel this is all we need to worry about.  Extended grasping or wrestling
for control of the blade are not allowed and should be dealt with as it
happens by the marshals overseeing the combat.  This technique is optional.
There shouldn't be a need to regulate or midigate any advantage gained by a
person grabbing a blade.  If I agree to the technique, I can't complain if
someone gets it to work against me.

So far, I haven't heard one example of anything unsafe being reported on the
use of mail gauntlets.  Admittedly, I'm not on every SCA rapier list or
revieve reports on any official level.  So I'm wondering why the discussion
of this issue with the few people here has led to the sugession of altering
the rules in a more restrictive manner than is currently in place.

Lord Gassion de Beaumarchais
Cadet to Don James Francis Navarre
Mooneschadowe Insegnante

Control thyself, or be ruled by another...