[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:01:58 PDT 2007

At 05:07 PM 10/12/2007, Dore wrote:

(snip)

>Finally, even if I have the ok from the DSMR, I am not convinced
>there is a safe and playable answer to my primary concern with this
>rule: the responses of the person who's blade is grabbed. Unless we
>want to make having your blade grabbed equal a fatal blow I must consider:
>What ways are fighters likely to react to having their blades
>grabbed by an uncuttable hand, and are any of those a problem?

Trying to pull the blade away is the most likely response. If the
grabber lets go, no problem. If it turns into a wrestling match, then
the marshals call hold.

>If a fighter manages to grab his opponent's blade as Robin suggests
>-- what then?

Both blades are grabbed? Since kicking and head-butting are illegal,
and biting him through your mask is impractical, the best solution is
a polite break. Otherwise, the marshals call hold as soon as it's an
obvious impasse.

>Are there any safe, effective, legal responses to having your blade
>grabbed by someone who's hand cannot be cut?

Hit him with your dagger? Grab his blade as Robin suggested?
Open-hand parry his attack while trying to get your blade free.
Remember that if it turns into a wrestling match, the marshals are
supposed to call hold.

Realistically, the only advantage of a mail glove in a blade grab is
that you don't lose your hand if the opponent twists his blade.
Wearing a mail glove is not a free pass to hang onto his blade
indefinitely; you still need to let go before it turns into a wrestling match.

Frankly, I'm a little puzzled by all this brouhaha. The contradiction
between "twisting the blade damages the grasping hand" and "mail
gloves are impervious to cuts" needs to be resolved, but turning a
blade-grab into a wrestling match *regardless* of what kind of gloves
you're wearing is still not allowed.

         -Tivar Moondragon