[Ansteorra-rapier] Chain mail gauntlet

Sean Hertzberg colsith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:37:08 PDT 2007

I would offer a suggestion that if someone would like to play with a
mail gauntlet, they have to actually have one.  We have enough things
in our game where we have to make concessions because of safety or
modernness, why not make people actually have what they are saying
they have?

On the other hand, I have been fighting in the SCA for 14 years now
and have seen a grand total of 2 chainmail gauntlets, so I do not
think this will suddenly turn into a major issue.  ;)

I will say that for C&T, if someone wants to fight with a mail
gauntlet, for safety reasons, I would HIGHLY suggest they actually
have one.  ~wry grin~

Avery, C&T Marshal, Ansteorra

On 10/26/07, James Crouchet <james at crouchet.com> wrote:
> I have mixed news about chain mail gauntlets.
>
> First, the DSMR has directed us to drop our rule on chain mail
> gauntlets. I have sent an update to JP on this so when the new rules are
> signed (very soon now) that will be gone.
>
> Of course, you can still wear them as "Armor as worn". To do so you need
> to meet two conditions:
>
>    1. The tournament must allow armor as worn. That is up to the people
>       putting on the tournament.
>    2. Your opponent must agree to fact it.
>
> I would also suggest that you actually have the armor, not a fake.
>
> Ok, so if you meet all these conditions, is the hand protected?
>
> Yes, the hand is protected to the degree specified for that tournament.
> Even if you grab a blade and it twists/slides in your hand, the hand CAN
> BE protected from loss, according to the conditions of that tournament.
> HOWEVER, if that blade twists or slides you MUST release it instantly or
> a HOLD will be called.
>
> With or without armor, blade grabbing shall not turn into a contest of
> strength or leverage. Once the person who's blade is grasped resists
> significantly you must release the blade at once.
>
> This is not exactly the solution I would have chosen but there is no
> doubt it maintains both safety and a reasonable game balance, and it is
> in accordance with the guidance of the Society Rapier Marshal.on this
> subject.
>
> While I am not closed to more discourse on the subject, I suspect this
> will be my final ruling.
>
> Christian Doré, Kingdom Rapier Marshal, Ansteorra

"You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts"---Daniel
Patrick Moynihan