[Ansteorra-rapier] Chain mail gauntlet

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Fri Oct 26 14:26:44 PDT 2007

I have mixed news about chain mail gauntlets.

First, the DSMR has directed us to drop our rule on chain mail
gauntlets. I have sent an update to JP on this so when the new rules are
signed (very soon now) that will be gone.

Of course, you can still wear them as "Armor as worn". To do so you need
to meet two conditions:

   1. The tournament must allow armor as worn. That is up to the people
      putting on the tournament.
   2. Your opponent must agree to fact it.

I would also suggest that you actually have the armor, not a fake.

Ok, so if you meet all these conditions, is the hand protected?

Yes, the hand is protected to the degree specified for that tournament.
Even if you grab a blade and it twists/slides in your hand, the hand CAN
BE protected from loss, according to the conditions of that tournament.
HOWEVER, if that blade twists or slides you MUST release it instantly or
a HOLD will be called.

With or without armor, blade grabbing shall not turn into a contest of
strength or leverage. Once the person who's blade is grasped resists
significantly you must release the blade at once.

This is not exactly the solution I would have chosen but there is no
doubt it maintains both safety and a reasonable game balance, and it is
in accordance with the guidance of the Society Rapier Marshal.on this
subject.

While I am not closed to more discourse on the subject, I suspect this
will be my final ruling.

Christian Doré, Kingdom Rapier Marshal, Ansteorra