[Ansteorra-rapier] Spears for heavy Rapier

Sean Hertzberg colsith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:16:51 PDT 2009

As the current C&T Marshal for Ansteorra, I will agree with what Corvin has
said below.  The idea of C&T melee is fun...but the facts are that the SCA
tends to authorize to lowest common denominator.  We are the big tent and we
try to let everyone play.  C&T is is VERY much not that idea.  We currently
have about 240 authorized rapier fighters in Ansteorra.  We have a grand
total of less than 20 authorized C&T fighters and the majority of those are
also marshals.  As stated below, this is not just an advanced
authorization.  And I will be very willing to say it will remain as such for
the forseeable future.

One thing to remember...C&T is still new...and still judged as very strange
and dangerous to some.  All it takes in one screw up and it can easily be
gone.  It has happened in other kingdoms in the past.

Don Avery Shaw, Baron of Bryn Gwlad
C&T Marshal, Ansteorra

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Kevin Wilson <kevwilson at swbell.net> wrote:

> I seriously doubt we'll ever see a C&T in melees, and I'm not sure I'd want
> to unless under VERY special and controlled circumstances.  Since we cannot
> have C&T fighting vs. rapier, everyone would have to be doing C&T, and I
> know I wouldn't want an entire army of rapier fighters doing C&T.
>
> C&T isn't just 'grad school rapier', being done by more
> advanced/experienced fighters.  It's the study of Historical Technique being
> applied in a way that is still considered new to the SCA.  The Society tends
> to allow anyone who didn't injure their opponent in an authorization fight
> the OK to fight with rapier (both heavy and light).  That is not the case
> for C&T, nor should it be.  Every authorized C&T fighter has trained and
> shown that they can fight with technique and control under any circumstance
> they are likely to face.  It is FAR too easy to escalate calibration in
> melees.  Doing so with a rapier leads to hard shots and lack of control,
> occasionally injuring someone.  Lack of control and hard hits in C&T will
> OFTEN injure someone.
>
> As for the spear/pike idea, while I'd love for melees to become more
> historically accurate, I think that the potential for injury and squabbling
> is greater than what we'd gain from doing it.
>
> Corvin

INCOMMODUS SENTENTIA