[Ansteorra-rapier] Spears for heavy Rapier

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:45:19 PDT 2009

At 12:43 PM 4/20/2009, you wrote:
>So it sounds like lots of people would like to find a spear to play with.
>
>The general consensus seems to be that some kind of metal blade on the
>end won't work but some kind of padded end might.
>
>The chiv community currently uses a padded end spear. But many do not
>think crossing over this one as-is would be a good idea.
>
>OK, so let's take the idea of the Chiv spear with the padded end, not
>the low profile end. That one already has a lot of kinks worked out of
>it. What might have to be different to make a spear workable for rapier?

Remember that we're using fencing masks, not 14-gauge steel helms. We
had the occasional problem with over-hard hits back in the days when
we still used rattan daggers; I expect a ten-foot "dagger" would be much worse.

As I said a couple of days ago, we'd probably end up with something
between a giant Q-tip and a giant Tootsie Pop.

>I'd also suggest that while testing whatever we come up with that any
>shot with a spear that touches you is "good" on whatever it hits, no
>matter how light. Let's err on the side of caution.

That's the least of our worries. It's the occasional "oops" shot,
where both fighters step in at the same time, or one steps forward
when his opponent expects him to step back that will cause the problems.

>And since this seems to be intended for Heavy Rapier melees, it might be
>good to consider this an advanced form for Heavy Rapier (and leave C&T
>out of it). If we can't make it work for the masses, even as a separate
>authorization, then it will never be enough fun to play with.

<shrug> As I said before, if you're *that* enthusiastic about
fighting with a spar or pike, go over to the armored field where they
*do* have all the bugs worked out.

         -Tivar Moondragon