[Ansteorra-rapier] Spears for heavy Rapier

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Apr 21 06:27:28 PDT 2009

Tivar wrote:

> <shrug> As I said before, if you're *that* enthusiastic about fighting
> with a spar or pike, go over to the armored field where they *do* have
> all the bugs worked out.

He's exactly right.  We have great pike melees (although we call them
"spear melees").  I particularly enjoyed the pike work on the far bridge at
the bridge melee at Gulf Wars.  But I have no desire to face them with less
armor than I was wearing then.  Specifically, I really don't want to face
them in a fencing mask or C&T helm.  For those interested in more authentic
combat, it has the added advanatge that it doesn't have rapiers, using
instead swords that are similar to what was used against pikes.

If you want pikes, go to the field where pikes are legal.  If you want
rapiers, go to the field where rapiers are legal.

But if you want pikes and rapiers together, exactly what period fighting
are you trying to simulate?

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin