[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Cynthia Hamilton simonevalery at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 14:19:01 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----

The second concern is more fundamental, I think.  If or when this measure
goes through, what happens to those who for medical reasons (generally
problems of some sort in the arm) cannot use a heavy blade (or at least
cannot use it for any useful amount of time)?

In service
Asbiorn

----
As one of those fighters with a medical reason to use lighter blades, I
would like to address this concern.

I started fighting rapier in the SCA in 1996 using a foil - because that's
what everybody used. I later traded that in for an epee when that became the
"in" thing, and finally went to heavy rapier when those became popular.
Around 2001 or so I damaged the nerves and tendons in both my wrists and
elbows through an amazing amount of (mostly non-SCA) overuse and stupidity
that has taken me years to recover from.

During my recovery I never once wanted to use an epee or foil instead of HR
just so I could fight. Why? Because foils and epees move completely
differently than heavy rapiers do. Sure some of the moves transition over
but many don't, and trying to use a HR like a foil/epee can cause a lot of
damage to your body (just ask all the old timers who came down with "tennis
elbow" while moving from LR to the heavier blades).  I was concerned that I
would feel fine using a foil/epee, decide to pick up my heavy blade - and
hurt myself all over again.

Also - I didn't feel it was fair to my opponents to expect them to
accommodate my special needs to use a light blade when our game had so
obviously moved beyond that. In my opinion it was entirely up to me to
figure out a way to use the "standard" equipment or to not fight.  Simple as
that.  I struggled along with minimal use of my heavier blades until I could
afford (or have someone buy for me) a lighter rig that would allow me to
participate more fully.

As far as using the heavier blades with weak arms, it is - first and
foremost - a matter of conditioning. Start slowly, limit your fighting, do
strength building exercises, and work up to longer sessions.  It's not
nearly as much fun as fighting for hours at a time right away, but you get
there in the long run.

Regards,
Simone Valery la Rousse