[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:47:08 PDT 2012

At 08:29 AM 10/11/2012, you wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Regarding the somewhat lacking car analogy - we don't wear carpet
>armor anymore, either. It works, it's functional, and it's cheap,
>but we don't use it. And we don't use it because it breaks our
>evolving aesthetic, and is simply and objectively inferior as an
>armor simulator. Much like an epee and a foil is an objectively
>inferior rapier simulator.
>
>- Mateo

Is *anybody* arguing that foils and epees are somehow better than
schlagers and Del Tins? I haven't seen any such posts, and I've been
following this pretty closely. Some people are saying that they're
still being used,so they shouldnt be banned. Others argue that if
they're legal at the Society level, they should be legal here as
well. Both of those points make sense to me. But remember that nobody
is being forced to use foils or epees, except possibly by their own
preferences or pocketbooks, so I really don't see what all the
heartache is about.

As for the notion that foils or epees somehow "break our evolving
aesthetic", I'll buy that when we outlaw Safeflex daggers (or plastic
armor on the heavy field, the almost universal use of basket hilts on
broadswords, tennis shoes, visible coolers and coke cans and a
zillion other historically inaccurate things common at SCA events.)

         -Tivar Moondragon