[Ansteorra-rapier] Pros and Cons of change

Katy Hendrick pancua at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:10:03 PDT 2012

Actually I believe that question was answered some time ago with those
wishing for authorizations would need to request it in writing to the KRM.

Or did I misunderstand the email? I can't seem to find it now.

--Dena

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Thaine Briscoe <rurikthered at swordworks.org
> wrote:

> I do not have a horse in this race any more having moved to a new
> Kingdom 2 years ago. I have noticed either people believe that the F/E
> is "dead" and should be done away with for adults, but kept for the
> youth program, or that it should be a viabel option for all
> combatants. I have seen the questions about safety of these blade
> against the heavy rapiers and the questions about their prevalence on
> the field.
>
> I would pose a set of questions I have not seen and if they were
> addressed, forgive the duplication.
>
> The topic of the recent lawsuit was brought up and the liability to
> the SCA. So here are my questions?
>
> 1. Does this rule change mean that adults would no longer be able to
> authorize in F/E since they would be an illegal weapon for them?
>
> 2. If this is correct, and if F/E are to be continued under the youth
> program and a viable authorization, Are you assuming that any
> authorized heavy rapier combantant is automatically safe enough to
> fight youth without a separate authorization?
>
> 3. Again, if this is correct, how does this rule change protect the
> individuals working with the youth, Ansteorra, the SCA from lawsuit
> resulting from a potential injury to a youth fighter by an adult from
> an F/E?
>
> In my non-legal opinion, this may open up the liability to the SCA to
> additional lawsuits. Do the current rules state that no combatant can
> use a weapon/style they are not authorized for? If there is no F/E
> authorization for adults, and they then practice with youth with these
> weapons, are they not in violation of the rules? If a youth is injured
> during a bout with an adult and we are sued, what defense do we have
> against it having removed the requirement for adults to be authorized
> (safety tested) with F/E?
>
> It has been pointed out that F/E do behave very differently from the
> heavy rapier. These questions shoudl be just as important, if not more
> so, than how many are being currently used or if they truly are a
> "dead" weapon with the Kingdom or the SCA as long as they are allowed
> in any capacity
>
> Rurik
>
> On 10/15/12, Andrew Heinrich <andrew.heinrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Except, as pointed out above, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Cut
> and
> > thrust is new and growing. Epee and foil are old and basically dead. Cut
> > and Thrust is essentially the most accurate way to fight with a sword in
> > the SCA. Epee and foil are arguably the least (depending on how you feel
> > about the comparison between rattan and the horn tournament weapons used
> in
> > the middle ages).
> >
> > - Mateo
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> At 10:48 AM 10/15/2012, you wrote:

> [...]

In humble service to The Barony of  Bryn Gwlad,

Lady Magdelena "Dena" Cortez
MKA Katy Hendrick
Cell: 512-585-4172