[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Oct 15 06:27:44 PDT 2012

As for needing something for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", that is not
something the SCA has ever worked on. Otherwise we wouldn't have improved in
technique, weapons styles, etc. It worked just fine when it was first used,
just there are better options commonly available now to be used instead.

Dena, I hate to argue with the Marshal Secretary in front of everyone, but I
think that you and I aren't generating the numbers the same way. Maybe we
need to look into that. When I re-wrote the reporting script I added a
numbers report for participants and got the following counts with valid
expiration dates:

.         Light Rapier Combatants: 270

.         Heavy Rapier Combatants: 293

.         Rapier Marshals: 181

Unfortunately I haven't had time to relook at the script to figure out to
generate how many light or heavy only combatants. I will see if I can get
that done in the next day or so.

I do agree that it is broke because the enforcement of the rules doesn't
appear to be happening with regards to authorizing rapier marshals and light
rapier combatants.

For everyone out there, "real soon now" we'll have some canned reports to
look up data from the database with a goal of eventually printing your own
authorization card.

Ciao,

Pug