[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Tue Oct 16 01:17:59 PDT 2012

I made the change to "Foil & Epee".  My reasons were:

   - Foil & Epee is clear and descriptive, even to someone just coming into
   the SCA from the modern fencing world. We get a lot of those who have some
   college fencing.
   - Epees and Foils are not rapiers.  Calling that "rapier" and calling
   the use of actual rapiers "heavy rapier" is nonsensical.
   - Rapier can refer to the overall activity, to the blades used in "heavy
   rapier", or to the activity of fencing with Foil & Epee.  Thus use of the
   term was confusing and contradictory.  I wanted to simplify and clarify.
   - "Light" is used in various ways in the SCA and can mean:
      - Foil and Epee combatants
      - All rapier combatants, "light fighters", still frequently heard in
      Ansteorra
      - Any non-rattan combat activity
      - A now obsolete type of combat archer who was not required to wear
      full armor
      - Any combat archer. This is a relic left over from the item above
      but still heard on occasion in kingdoms where "light archers" were used.

The "heavy" in "heavy rapier" was kept transitionally. I hope we see the
language change in the next SCA rules revision to use the terms "Foil &
Epee" and "Rapier", at which time I would expect the Ansteorran rules to
change to drop the "heavy" part.

Christian Doré