[Ansteorra-rapier] Pros and Cons of change

Thaine Briscoe rurikthered at swordworks.org
Mon Oct 15 10:07:54 PDT 2012

I do not have a horse in this race any more having moved to a new
Kingdom 2 years ago. I have noticed either people believe that the F/E
is "dead" and should be done away with for adults, but kept for the
youth program, or that it should be a viabel option for all
combatants. I have seen the questions about safety of these blade
against the heavy rapiers and the questions about their prevalence on
the field.

I would pose a set of questions I have not seen and if they were
addressed, forgive the duplication.

The topic of the recent lawsuit was brought up and the liability to
the SCA. So here are my questions?

1. Does this rule change mean that adults would no longer be able to
authorize in F/E since they would be an illegal weapon for them?

2. If this is correct, and if F/E are to be continued under the youth
program and a viable authorization, Are you assuming that any
authorized heavy rapier combantant is automatically safe enough to
fight youth without a separate authorization?

3. Again, if this is correct, how does this rule change protect the
individuals working with the youth, Ansteorra, the SCA from lawsuit
resulting from a potential injury to a youth fighter by an adult from
an F/E?

In my non-legal opinion, this may open up the liability to the SCA to
additional lawsuits. Do the current rules state that no combatant can
use a weapon/style they are not authorized for? If there is no F/E
authorization for adults, and they then practice with youth with these
weapons, are they not in violation of the rules? If a youth is injured
during a bout with an adult and we are sued, what defense do we have
against it having removed the requirement for adults to be authorized
(safety tested) with F/E?

It has been pointed out that F/E do behave very differently from the
heavy rapier. These questions shoudl be just as important, if not more
so, than how many are being currently used or if they truly are a
"dead" weapon with the Kingdom or the SCA as long as they are allowed
in any capacity

Rurik