[Ansteorra-rapier] Pros and Cons of change

Andrew Heinrich andrew.heinrich at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:55:06 PDT 2012

So, this begs a question for me -

Why not train with the tool you intend to use on the field? Of what
advantage is it to use, say, a Foil, to train with instead of the rapier
you will fight with? I look at the foil and epee as *bad* training tools,
because they teach all those bad habits (vis a vis the rapier) you mention
in your post here. What are the benefits of using a foil like a rapier in
training?

- Mateo

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Puck Curtis <puck.curtis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an additional Con.
>
> Ansteorra's legacy culture resulted in significant transitional pain
> moving from the lighter blade technique to the heavier blade technique.
>  Specifically, I refer to the newer French foil/smallsword practice of
> parrying with the point on target (in presence) which was not safe practice
> with the heavier blades.  To parry with a bent wrist to keep the point
> maintained on the target was gospel when I was taught in Ansteorra but that
> doesn't fully close the line of offense.  Because the smaller (less massive
> and faster) blade's circular parries could compensate for the weaker
> defensive position this "legacy code" worked in a world primarily populated
> with lighter blades derived from a sporting tradition.  Ansteorra was a
> dominant SCA rapier power in the 1990s.
>
> Actual rapier practice as described in the manuals typically closes the
> line completely and redirects the point during the final stages of the
> counter-attack or riposte.  In contrast, the martial art as practiced by
> the Italians maximized defensive potential for as long as possible at the
> expense of offense.
>
> Unfortunately, when the SCA world moved onward the light-blade sporting
> bias left Ansteorra behind with regards to high-level play with heavier
> blades.  Not only was the Ansteorran-classic tradition falling behind, a
> highly vocal portion of the population slavishly defended the point-in-line
> parries derived from the French sport tradition.
>
> "I can make circular parries just as quickly with my 42" rapier as I can
> with my foil."
> (A statement which defies physics at every level.)
>
> This counter-movement actively applied the brakes to the Ansteorran rapier
> tradition which was once a powerhouse of combat superiority.  As a result
> Ansteorra was left to slowly dig itself out of the French foil hole while
> other kingdoms barreled forward immersing themselves in historical
> practices targeted towards the popular heavier weapons of the present day.
>  The counter-movement is a boat anchor holding back the kingdom's rapier
> culture.
>
> When I left 10 years ago, Ansteorra was like a new computer running old
> legacy code and continuously crashing on the bugs.  The fencing was broken
> in funny ways and it needed to be re-tooled for the new hardware.  Our top
> guys were beginning to make the transition to heavy blades but that
> migration was not yet complete.  It may be that the kingdom has moved past
> these artifacts of French foil that were so pervasive while I was there but
> that would be in spite of the counter-movement's desire to keep these
> weapons around.
>
> If the training doesn't match the combat, you will lose.
> It's not rocket science.
>
> All this and I should be the one presenting the argument for keeping
> foils.  They potentially make a great pedagogical tool for training with
> [...]

it is good to know, it is better to do, it is best to be.