[Ansteorra-rapier] A question about how we "Weight" fighters

Candice Blaschke solarandraste at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 06:45:22 PDT 2012

Corvin,

Dante used this at Defending the Gate this year for dividing up teams for the day.  Anyway it turned out to be an good weighting system for melees. Part of what makes it work is taking in physically conditioning as well as prowess. Otherwsie you can find a local spreadsheet junkie to track fighters progress across a series of tournaments.

Candice / Caitlin

FWD:

I had a few people ask me to post this, so here it is.

You line everyone up and call out down the list; for each section that
applies/applied to them, everyone takes one step forward. Then, you
look at the 4-8 forwardmost people and seed out the teams (1 and 4 go
to one team, 2 and 3 go to the other in case of 4; 1, 3, 6, and 8 in
the case of 8, etc.), then alternate down the rest of the people. It
seemed to me that this really balanced the teams out, which in turn
made for more competitive fighting. We've all been in blow-outs, and I
don't think anyone finds them especially fun. It's not perfect, but it
seems to work well enough.

Baronial Fighting Award
Baronial Rapier Champion (per year)
Kingdom Rapier Champion (per reign)
AoA Level Fighting Award
Free Scholar/Closed Order of l'Academie d'Espee
Shark's Tooth (per)
Vexillium Atlantiae (per)
GoA Level Fighting Award
PoA Level Fighting Award
5+ years of SCA rapier experience
10+ years of SCA rapier experience
Won a tournament
Won 10+ tournaments
Won 50+ tournaments
Run a mile in 10 minutes
Run 5K in 30 minutes
5+ years of a mainstream sport that involves field awareness (soccer, field
hockey, not cross country)