[Ansteorra-textiles] Fwd: CVM Cross Fleeces

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 10 09:34:36 PST 2002

Hey Corinne!

>Hi Gwenneth, Hi Clare!
>Yep, skirting means that all the yecky bits (like dung tags, other junk, or
>sections that are unspinnable because they are felted or whatnot), get pulled
>off before selling.  Typically what happens is that the fiber ( I would guess
>between 2 and 4 inches) all the way around the perimeter of the fleece is
>removed. In addition to removing the junk, it also removes the coarsest and
>sometimes longest fibers.  This is really good for people who plan on knitting
>or crocheting the resulting yarn and are therefore only interested in the soft
>stuff, but it's not necessarily the best option for weavers (but that's
>only my
>opinion).  If you are a weaver, I'd recommend going for the "lightly skirted"
>option if the seller gives you one, and ask that as much of the britch be
>saved
>as possible.  The coarser (and usually stronger) fibers are great for spinning
>into warp yarn, with the softer less strong fibers reserved for weft.  That
>approach is appealing to me because it results in stronger warp yarn, and
>it is
>an economical way to use up more of the fleece.

that's true but I normally just search around for a fleece that is a tad
coarser.  Scottish black face, Churro or Icelandic (because of it's double
coat.)  A lot of time I find more second cuts in the britch area because
shearers aren't always so careful there. (why -I don't know - grin).

I'd share a fleece with you Gwenneth but - sigh I have tons and am thinking
Christmas.....

Clare