[Ansteorra-textiles] Wool Fleece!

audette at sapheron.org audette at sapheron.org
Tue Jul 16 16:42:57 PDT 2002

I picked up a bunch of mesh boxes (plastic) and a few plastic tubs they
fit into, so I am hoping to use them.  Not much will fit in at once, but
I'm still fairly slow at spinning (hey, I'm using a drop spindle and
combs... *grin*), so not doing too much at a time is not a big deal.  I
live in an apartment, so it's likely best if I don't wash too much all
at once, as well. :)

I've seen several posts all of which specify Dawn liquid soap.  Is this
the only one that will work?  I can't remember what I've got at home
right now, so it will take until at least tonight to find out.

Aside from the soap it seems to come down to constant water temp and
slow, gentle handling of the wet wool. :)

Now I want to go home and give it a try!

Audette

Robert and Beth Ellis <killian at viptx.net> said:
:Hi All -
:Yes, I am a fan of the washing machine method too, for my own stuff.  As Clare
:says, be careful in gauging the temperature of your water, and don't let the
:machine agitate or you'll end up with felt. At work I had to wash a bunch of
:trash fleece (hey, it was free....) that was absolutely filthy.  There was no
:access to hot water, so it got washed with cold.  Using big tubs, I washed it
:twice using Dawn liquid, and then rinsed it twice.  To my surprise the fleece
:came out fairly clean.  Especially since it was actually a rather fine grade
:wool.
:
:If you are really nervous about washing your wool, just practice with a small
:piece of it at first.  Although washing instructions sound like a pain, it's
:actually a pretty easy thing to do.
:Corrinne
:
: