[Ansteorra-textiles] Wool Fleece!

Victoria Owens vmowens at airmail.net
Tue Jul 16 16:01:33 PDT 2002

> I've seen several posts all of which specify Dawn liquid soap.  Is this
> the only one that will work?  I can't remember what I've got at home
> right now, so it will take until at least tonight to find out.
>
> Aside from the soap it seems to come down to constant water temp and
> slow, gentle handling of the wet wool. :)

Hi

I wash my wool with Orvus and a wee bit of washing soda.  Orvus is used in cleaning
horses, sheep, quilts and historic textiles.  It is cheaper if you buy it from a
feed store rather than a conservation supply catalog.  Washing soda helps reduce
the surface tension of the water making the soap work more effectively.  But only
use a little, once I accidentally tipped too much into the wash and the wool melted
(ewwww).

If you look in the back of a "Spin Off" magazine you will be inundated with ads for
wool washes, but ya know I have washed my wool with dish soaps and laundry
detergents and it has not adversely affected my wool.

For your amusement here is an 1815 wool cleansing receipt -
Fill a kettle 2/3 with water and 1/3 urine, "that which is old if you can get it".
Heat till you can barely put your hand in it.  Add wool and "keep it turning round
for 6-8 minutes".   Remove the wool, drain and save the 'liquor'.  "Rinse the wool
in a box that is set in a situation so that a stream can run through it".

I am dubious about its effectiveness, but it is very clearly a receipt for scouring
raw wool not cloth.

Cheers
Kestral