[Ansteorra-textiles] spinning wheels

Cindy Rogers wolfpaws at swbell.net
Wed Jul 17 07:04:25 PDT 2002

Victoria Owens wrote:

> ...With the double drive there is only
> one way to do the fine tuning (I don't have any alternate whorls).  With the bobbin lead and
> brake I've had to fiddle around to understand the type of changes that adjusting the brake vs.
> raising the mother-of-all cause.  It works well spinning with the long draw method.

I have an Ashford Traditional, with the high speed flyer. I can set it up for double band, or for
scotch tension. You have perhaps answered a puzzle for me, I learned a short draw method of
spinning, and am much happier spinning with the scotch tension. When I put the double band on, I
just can't seem to draft fast enough. Perhaps I should cultivate a long draw.

On the Ashford, I've added the larger flyer and bobbin unit that allows one to do spin more onto
a bobbin (or do thicker threads.) And have been pleased with that.

I have been eyeing the double treadle as well, and wondering if it was worth adding.

The only complaint I have with the Ashford is that its joints periodicaly become loose. The Wheel
actually came apart some years ago. I had a carpenter put it back together for me. However, I
don't know how old the wheel was when I purchased it. (An awesome garage sale find that a friend
of mine found for me.)

Rhiannon