[Ansteorra-textiles] what type of woven fabrics were period?

Jessica patchworkgirl at cooke.net
Fri Jul 26 13:58:11 PDT 2002

I just wanted to ask if tweed type weaves were period for  garments like capes, cloaks, etc.? (or a weave that didn't necessarily involve the same color yarn throughout, tweed, plaid, etc.)  I weave shawls & ruanas on my triangle loom & would like to weave period garments on that loom as well...

One of the reasons I'm asking about tweed colors is because I don't know if I can get enough of a sandy color, I know I can get 5 skeins but would need about 10 skeins to make a full cape/cloak & might need to blend it with another color...and what I'd do would be to just alternate rows between the sand color and a light or dark brown (or both) to get the tweed or whatever... the other reason is it's more interesting to weave more than one color! LOL...

Thanks!

Jessica

Tornadowood Looms & Accessories
www.tornadowood.net