[Ansteorra-textiles] textile judging

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 19 05:52:48 PDT 2002

At 06:46 PM 6/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>   And before anybody scoffs (grin!) -
>that's exactly what happened with an entry I took to Gulf War one year.  It
>was a handwoven, handsewn outfit of (mostly) natural fleece colors, that was
>basically a bunch of rectangles sewn together.  I documentated the heck out
>of it and put it on a dress form, and ended up with exactly the same score as
>a super-duper Elizabethan dress also entered in the competition.  If I had
>done a half*** job of documenting it and then just thrown it flat on the
>table, I seriously doubt it would have scored as well as it did.

         Was that your bog dress?  I remember that. It was really a
wonderful piece.
I saw one exhibit where a woman was working on period textile samples --
she would research the various weaves and finishing techniques and then do
a small sample of each.  Gwenneth I remember had a great collection of
natural dye colors she did a display and labeled each.

I also remember Rhiannon's weaving from a long while ago - very nice piece
as well......

Clare