[Ansteorra-textiles] rigid heddle experiment

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 07:14:31 PST 2002

I got a nasty inkling to do some rigid heddle work and remembered that mine is still in the A&S demo stuff for TRF(no complaints either), so I looked around the house to see what I could use to make another one. Having no bone, horn, or hard wood around te house I came up with another idea... plastic canvas.
I cut a slit in two lengths of bamboo and slit it across the top and bottom of my plastic scrap. I cut every other row of little plastic bits giving spaces for the thread to rise and fall and leaving solid the ones in the middle. I lashed the bamboo to the plastic, warped it and started weaving. I used a very thick yarn...actually slightly larger than the holes. Then started weaving.
It worked well. I was amazed. It is a really cheap solution for anyone wanting to make a totally non-period rigid heddle. It can be used for making a childs loom too. You look at childrens looms and they cost $100. The only thing that is not made out of scrap wood is the rigid heddle...cheap and easy. I do not know how long it will last, but with as easy and cheap as it is to make replacing it is no problem. And you can make them as wide as you want them.
not really useful as a beater reed.
Well that is my weird play for the day.
Have fun.
your servant,