[Ansteorra-textiles] projects

Robert and Beth Ellis killian at viptx.net
Wed Oct 16 17:27:06 PDT 2002

> If you send me the details on the event I might be able to come down for
> it.  I can also post it on the Texas Fiber Network to see if there are
> people on it that can help.  You will no doubt get a few people volunteering!

The event is taking place at Mission Espiritu Santo/Goliad State Park, and the
focus is on the Spanish Colonial Era.  We'll have demonstrators doing things like
leatherworking, woodworking, blacksmithing, spinning, weaving, natural dyeing,
etc.  Friday (9:00 am to 3:00 pm) is "school day", so we'll have lots of kids
coming through.  Saturday (10:00 am to 5:00 pm) is the day for the general
public.  If anyone wants to volunteer to come down and demo spinning, weaving,
knitting, embroidery (or other crafts appropriate to the era) one or both days,
they are welcome too!  I just need to know who's coming and what they will be
doing so that I can factor that into event prep.  Some of our demonstrators will
be dressed in some varient of period clothing, while others will be dressed in
modern attire.

> Did you like the Jacobs?  It's one of my favorite fibers.  I also am
> partial to CVM/Romeldale and shetland.

The Jacobs was in roving form, so I cheated a bit there.  It was very nice to
spin up.  I'm going to combine it with the karakul (which was a fleece) in both
warp and weft, so it will be interesting to see how the two different types work
together.  Needless to say, I'm going to be very careful with it to keep the
finished piece from doing something funky because of potential differences in the
yarn from the two breeds.  The Jacobs was a little softer than the Karakul, but
not much, so I think they will be ok together.

I haven't started spinning up the shetland yet (that's gonna have to wait until
the event is over and I get the Jacobs/Karakul yarn woven up), so I'm kind of
nervous about how strong it's going to be.  I plan on using it for both warp and
weft, hopefully in single ply form unless there are strength problems with it.
We'll see.  The shetland that I have spun in the past was in roving form, and I
liked it very much.  Of the fleeces I have, there are four colors - one is a dark
chocolate, another is also a chocolate but with some nice red tones for contrast,
a third is a beautiful musket, while the last is a very light fawn.  They are all
quite pretty.  I'm dreading carding the musket - the variations in it now are so
pretty, but that will be lost when the fibers are combined.

> Let us know what you need and maybe we'll all do a field trip.

I hope you decide to do that - it will be fun!
Corrinne