[Ansteorra-textiles] question for embroiderers

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 06:11:14 PDT 2003

> Just a side question - what types of thread do the embroiderers here
> use.  Does anyone use a great deal of silk?  Is it mainly cotton?

I use cotton, because I do a lot of work on utility items - pouches,
clothing.  Not especially period for the SCA, but decorative and useful.
Also, cotton is easily accessible and I can use it for so many other things:
braiding, kumihimo, fingerloop weaving, knitting.

I have also used wool on a number of items (a hood and cloak that were two
of the Warlord prizes four or five years ago, and some pouches), and done
two very fine split-stitch items in silk.

> What types of thread work do you do?  Count work?  Blackwork?

Not good enough, although I am working on a blackwork design for a scent
bag.  Usually I do semifreehand celtic knotwork.  Again, not period, but I
like it!

> What do you use it on?  What was it used on traditionally?

See above.  I don't think these were used traditionally.

>From my experience in 1850's re-creation I have done more accurate
embroidery, samplers and the name of a doll on her underskirt and things
like that.  I did some crewel work and never liked it.

                                                ---= Morgan

" One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
  exciting discoveries."                               ---=  A. A. Milne
"....look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else."
        ---= Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" (1967)