[Ansteorra-textiles] question for embroiderers

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 07:40:32 PDT 2003

It all depends on what you are doing it for. If it is for a competition, see what was used in the time and period you are trying to reproduce. If it is for your own stuff, use what is best for you.

your servant,
mahee

"Morgan Cain (Ansteorra)" <morgancain at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Just a side question - what types of thread do the embroiderers here
> use. Does anyone use a great deal of silk? Is it mainly cotton?

I use cotton, because I do a lot of work on utility items - pouches,
clothing. Not especially period for the SCA, but decorative and useful.
Also, cotton is easily accessible and I can use it for so many other things:
braiding, kumihimo, fingerloop weaving, knitting.

I have also used wool on a number of items (a hood and cloak that were two
of the Warlord prizes four or five years ago, and some pouches), and done
two very fine split-stitch items in silk.

> What types of thread work do you do? Count work? Blackwork?

Not good enough, although I am working on a blackwork design for a scent
bag. Usually I do semifreehand celtic knotwork. Again, not period, but I
like it!

> What do you use it on? What was it used on traditionally?

See above. I don't think these were used traditionally.

>From my experience in 1850's re-creation I have done more accurate
embroidery, samplers and the name of a doll on her underskirt and things
like that. I did some crewel work and never liked it.

---= Morgan