[Ansteorra-textiles] question A&S

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 21:26:35 PDT 2003

You have a nice even view. Thank you for presenting it. I really like the fact that you keep the score seperate. The best competition I partisipated as a judge in, the judges listed their top 3 favorite pieces to the head judge. those numbers were tallied to find the winner. Every piece was scored and given feedback, but the score was not the deciding factor. Thank you again for sharing.

your servant,
mahee

Carolle Ternus <cternus at texas.net> wrote:
 Hello Mahee,

I'm not a competition driven artist, but I like going to kingdom level competitions because I have always gotten good feedback.  I haven't entered any local level competitions for awhile, so I can't speak to them.   Showing my stuff to people that will be excited and may be interested in trying it themselves, as well as getting feedback from people above my skill level, is what I like about competitions - or Laurel's Prize, which is not a competition.  I guess mostly I like the interaction between artisans.  I always get so excited about art, even arts that I haven't tried or done well at yet.  For me, that is separate from a score.

To me the score is a tool to let me know where I'm at, with that particular medium.  I try to be as honest with myself as possible, so I generally have a rough idea of what the score might be.  I also take the judge into account.  Good day vs. bad day.  Opinion I respect vs. opinion I don't.  Helpfulness of critique.

I know some have had bad experiences.  Sometimes, though, I've seen artisans with wildly inaccurate expectations of competitions, especially Kingdom level ones.  I think that naturally leads to disappointment for the artisan.  I am not saying that is the reason for every bad experience, just ones I've seen.  Having watched Laurel foo, through friends and husband, for awhile, the Laurels I know are extremely conscientious about giving feedback in as fair and as helpful manner as possible.  They know that beginners can get scared, and that more advanced people sometimes need a kick in the butt.  That attitude does not represent all judges but only the ones I am aware of.

Also, while I'm not competition-driven, I am deadline-driven.  I've found that if I don't decide on an external deadline (like a particular event or competition), I'll just poke along and may never finish a project because something else shiny has passed into my field of view.

Hope that's helpful.
Radegund of Tours