[Ansteorra-textiles] dye plants

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 30 06:29:29 PDT 2003

At 11:44 PM 9/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Clare -
>Wild coreopsis grows all over the place in the spring, and it produces one of
>my favorite natural dye colors - a beautiful rust that has a lot of "depth" to
>it.  Last time we used it in a demonstration, we had premordanted the wool
>with
>alum.  We used the whole plant (flowers and stems) and it only took a
>couple of
>handfuls to dye 2 or 3 ounces of wool yarn.  The color transfer starts very
>quickly.

Okay technical talk here....... Was it the wild coreopsis that had the
reddish brown centers?  The solid yellow one?
I suspect it was coreopsis tinctoria which grows in that area but it could
be others.    Again - whole plant?  did you use roots?  leave, stems and
what?   Have you tried it dried?

Thanks.

Clare