[Ansteorra-textiles] Fiber Blends

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Tue Jan 27 13:27:11 PST 2004

A thought struck me on my way home from the local yarn shop the other day...

We know that linen, cotton, silk, and wool were all known about and used in
period for various items.

But, what about blends?  I've heard of fustian, which was explained to me as a
linen cotton blend.

I am curious mostly because I am contemplating a project of very fine knitting,
and while I know that using pure silk would be appropriate, I wonder if I could
get away with a silk wool blend...  There are a number of reasons why, but cost
would be one of them.  Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can get pure silk
to knit on size 000 needles for something approaching a reasonable price, I
would also be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks!

Audette