[Ansteorra-textiles] Greetings and a quest

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 15:10:30 PDT 2004

Ldy Xanthe has some pictures she took at the Cloisters recently of these kind of garments...

Many of the clavii from what I have seen are woven into the cloth or maybe the linen threads are pulled and the wool woven in tapestry style...vines, figures and animals seem to be the majority of what I've seen...ya'll might want to keep this in mind when designing the bands...

Ya might look at Early Decorative Textiles by Paul Hamlyn (I have it if you wish to borrow it...) and The Roman Textile Industry and it's Influence (David Brown/Oxbow has it for a good price...ya can borrow it too...) I can't seem to find the rest of my books that relate...I think they're still at Isobail's...

Okay...we'll all need some specs...like how long and wide...are you doing the really long ones or the two from the top and two from the bottom...do you need specific colours?

For some of the rondels/squares you might be able to get by with tapestry fabric...I've seen some at the high end stores cary tapestry fabric that has rondels with roman-like designs.

I don't know if my tablet weaving is up to par enough yet...I haven't gotten DF down yet...but I'd be willing to weave plain bands (or supply appropriate fabric) and embroider them appropriately....

Lorraine

Gerita/Carolle Cox <hpockets at verizon.net> wrote:
My Lady Rixende, I assure you that you came to the right place!  I can name several very able weavers in my own Barony, so there will indeed be enough segmentae woven to clothe your Lord and our King.  I myself am a beginning inkle weaver, so anything I could produce would certainly Not be suitable for His clothing.

In service,
Gerita

People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross