[Ansteorra-Textiles] Update on activities

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Thu Jan 20 06:18:12 PST 2005

KRISTINE KEENEY <kristine.keeney at sbcglobal.net> said:
<snip>
:  In Theory, I'll be learning to tat in my spare time.
:Apparently needle tatting is easier to learn, then you
:switch to shuttle if you feel the need. We'll see how
:it goes.

I've done both needle and shuttle tatting.  If you knit or crochet, you'll
probably find needle tatting easier to learn.  But, I find the two are very
different styles of creating similar results.  If the end result is wanting to
shuttle tat, you might be just as well off starting with it first, due to the
very different nature of the techniques involved.

I have found that shuttle tatting has one challenge for me in Ansteorra.  Part
of the process involves "flipping" knots on threads you are manipulating with
your hands.  When I lived in a drier climate this was super easy, but here the
heat and humidity make my hands or the thread just slightly not dry, and
"flipping" the knot is _much_ more difficult.  Winter would certainly be the
time of year here I'd recommend learning shuttle tatting to avoid that as much
as possible.

My preference of the two is shuttle tatting, however.  I find when I do it, it
has a crisper, more delicate appearance than when I do needle tatting.

Thanks for the inspiration!  I've been meaning to get back to my tatting for a
while, and this has reminded me about that.  :)

Audette