[Ansteorra-Textiles] Fiber Arts Event Proposal

Elizabeth Ellis weavedog91 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 17:44:14 PST 2007

I could teach the Wool Fiber Prep class if nobody else wants to do it.  Taught it last year a GW and at a Fall Arts a couple of years ago.  Or I could also do something on spinning short draw (a real misnomer when spinning long wool fibers!) on the wheel.  That's a good one 'cause I can do it with minimal wrist/finger movement (i.e. no carpal tunnel). I could also cover long draw for short fibers too (that's a hard technique to learn - or at least it was for me).  Not many people I know do that, which is unfortunate because it allows you to spin not only short wools, but also cotton, dog hair (as well as other critters), silk noil, etc.

  Corrinne

Carolle Ternus <cternus at texas.net> wrote:
            The last time Bjornsborg (San Antonio, for those who don't know) hosted a Fiber Arts College was back in '98 or 2000 or so.  I'd like to see another one, and why not here again?  I'm looking into the costs of a site with several class rooms and a central room to gather in.

  My idea is classes, no lunch provided - bring a lunch or go offsite to get it, more classes, after classes maybe a potluck dinner and spin/weave/fiber-in, either on site or at someone's house.  Just sitting around talking fiber, working on projects and eating supper.  Go home.

  My question is, is there enough interest to go forward with this?  Is there enough interest for people to say they will attend, not just that it's a good idea?  For the one place I've gotten prices, we would need to have at least 35 people, at $10 site.  I'm continuing to look for another site.

  The date I'm looking at is June 23.

  Some class ideas:
  Spinning-related classes:
    Fleece prep - choosing, skirting, washing, etc.
  Fiber prep - carding vs combing wool

  Beginning spinning with handspindle, low or hi whorl
  Beginning spinning with treadle wheel
  Intermediate/Advanced spinning with fibers other than wool: flax, cotton, silk, exotics
  Period Fibers - info about flax, nettle, cotton, silk, metallics, how to prepare and use them
  Period Breeds - who, when, where (Debroa, I'm looking at you : )   )

  Weaving-related classes:
  Beginning tapestry
  Beginning tablet -weaving - threaded in patterns
  Intermediate/Advanced tablet weaving techniques - double-faced weave
  Intermediate/Advanced tablet weaving techniques -
  Brocaded tablet weaving
  Beginning rigid heddle weaving
  Yardage weaving - how to begin, calculations, how to end the project
  Warping a jack loom (most common modern loom) - front to back or back to front

  Other string-related classes:
  Beginning nalbinding
  Beginning finger-looped braiding
  Beginning kumihimo
  Beginning knitting
  Beginning sprang
  Beginning Netting
  Beginning lucet
  Tassles
  Intermediate/Advanced classes of any of the above
  Making award insignia (Iris, Centurion, Star, Falcon, ).   Making hangers for medallions.

  Dyeing - I don't know if the site can accomodate this, but if so, that's another whole section of classes.  Info on period uses, hands-on dyeing with different dyes, kermes and lac vs cochineal, woad vs indigo, etc.

  I'm doing the ground work and trying to find out if people will come before I bring it up to my barony at our next populace meeting, March 5.

  Any other ideas?  Any volunteers?

  What do y'all think?

  Radegund
  Bjornsborg