[Ansteorra-Textiles] Fiber Arts Event Proposal

Siren Song sirensong13 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 19:34:41 PST 2007

It sounds fun but I am all the way up in northern regional and I don't think I can justify the trip for a one day thing :(

Siobhan

Carolle Ternus <cternus at texas.net> wrote:        The last time Bjornsborg (San Antonio, for those  who don't know) hosted a Fiber Arts College was back in '98 or 2000 or so.   I'd like to see another one, and why not here again?  I'm looking into the  costs of a site with several class rooms and a central room to gather  in.

 My idea is classes, no lunch provided - bring a  lunch or go offsite to get it, more classes, after classes maybe a potluck  dinner and spin/weave/fiber-in, either on site or at someone's house.  Just  sitting around talking fiber, working on projects and eating supper.  Go  home.

 My question is, is there enough interest to go  forward with this?  Is there enough interest for people to say they will  attend, not just that it's a good idea?  For the one place I've  gotten prices, we would need to have at least 35 people, at $10 site.  I'm  continuing to look for another site.

 The date I'm looking at is June 23.

 Some class ideas:
 Spinning-related classes:
  Fleece prep - choosing, skirting, washing,  etc.
 Fiber prep - carding vs combing  wool

 Beginning spinning with handspindle, low or hi  whorl
 Beginning spinning with treadle wheel
 Intermediate/Advanced spinning with fibers other  than wool: flax, cotton, silk, exotics
 Period Fibers - info about flax, nettle,  cotton, silk, metallics, how to prepare and use them
 Period Breeds - who, when, where (Debroa, I'm  looking at you : )   )

 Weaving-related classes:
 Beginning tapestry
 Beginning tablet -weaving - threaded in  patterns
 Intermediate/Advanced tablet weaving techniques -  double-faced weave
 Intermediate/Advanced tablet weaving techniques -
 Brocaded tablet weaving
 Beginning rigid heddle weaving
 Yardage weaving - how to begin, calculations, how  to end the project
 Warping a jack loom (most common modern loom) -  front to back or back to front

 Other string-related classes:
 Beginning nalbinding
 Beginning finger-looped braiding
 Beginning kumihimo
 Beginning knitting
 Beginning sprang
 Beginning Netting
 Beginning lucet
 Tassles
 Intermediate/Advanced classes of any of the  above
 Making award insignia (Iris, Centurion, Star,  Falcon, ).   Making hangers for medallions.

 Dyeing - I don't know if the site can accomodate  this, but if so, that's another whole section of classes.  Info on period  uses, hands-on dyeing with different dyes, kermes and lac vs cochineal,  woad vs indigo, etc.

 I'm doing the ground work and trying to find out if  people will come before I bring it up to my barony at our next populace meeting,  March 5.

 Any other ideas?  Any volunteers?

 What do y'all think?

 Radegund
 Bjornsborg

Lady Siobhan inghean ui Tigernaigh
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/renaissance
It's not the color of the Text but how you use it.