[Ansteorra-Textiles] Of interest to spinners.

Nancy nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:21:49 PDT 2008

From: ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Highly
Unlikely
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:31 PM
To: Spinners, weavers, knitters and other Textile makers in Ansteorra
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Of interest to spinners.

Greetings Clare,

   I prefer a blend in sachet form of lavender and pennyroyal. I've tried
others herbal preparations and the were just too medicinal, although, I did
like the pure spearmint. Sometimes I will add a few drops of lavender
essential oil to the final rinse. A successful moth deterrent masks the
smell of the protein fiber and fools the moths into believing that your wool
not a fitting place to start the next generation of bugs. There is no need
to rewash your wool, unless you just really enjoy it.

   To wash, I like Dawn and Palmolive green liquid detergent with a 1/4 cup
of white vinegar to the final rinse.

Joellen

I generally use a combo of lavender, pennyroyal and cedar.  In the past I've
also tried vetiver and patchouli mixed into the combos.  I did find that no
matter what I used, you have to also keep the wool into anything but
plastic. I also like to put it into the sun every year as well.  Mint's good
and I've also put some southern wood in my batches

I used to use dish detergent but found you had to be really careful about
the kind.  Sometimes, the degreasing ones removed too much grease out of the
wool.  I generally like spinning slightly greasy wool.  I switched to
shampoo when I was in a hurry once and grabbed an old cheap bottle of Suave.
For me it leaves the wool slightly soft and a tad less brittle.   There is a
type detergent that museum folks use which works nice as well.   I'll have
to try a little vinegar in the rinse water.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My next big project is to clean my carders really well.  They are pretty old
and somewhat dirty.