[Ansteorra-Textiles] Greetings and Questions

Fields Family Farm fields at texas.net
Fri Aug 20 20:33:16 PDT 2010

Thanks, both of you, for the advice.

I'm starting to realize that I know very little about weaving.  At first it
didn't seem that complicated, but now I'm getting somewhat intimidated by
the amount to learn and all of the complications possible.

For example, I was just planning a plain-weave loom, with the minimum number
of shafts.  I thought I could weave a tartan with that, and work on
something more advanced later.  But tartans are usually twills?  Even in
period?

I've been looking at looms for sale.  I don't even understand all of what
they're offering.  What's a 10 dent reed?

I think I need to get together with a weaver and learn a bit more before
trying to build anything.

Hrethric/Rick