[Ansteorra-Textiles] Greetings and Questions

Vicki Marsh vmarsh at twmarsh.net
Sat Aug 21 08:45:42 PDT 2010

Greetings Hrethric,

I know how easy it is to become overwhelmed at what you need to learn, but
don't give up! You didn't learn to walk in one day, so take one step at a
time.

Learn about the history of fibers and fabric. Play with wool and linen, silk
and cotton. Experiment with simple weaves. Try a making a back-strap loom to
make a belt. Read books by Elizabeth Wayland Barber,
a.. Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years Women, Cloth, and Society in Early
Times
by Elizabeth Wayland Barber
Softcover, W W Norton & Co Inc, ISBN 0393313484 (0-393-31348-4)
Go to A & S events and look for textile and woven entries, then take the
time to read the documentation and keep notes as to good sources for
materials.

Go to Barnes and Nobles and look for Spin-Off and HandWoven magazines or go
to www.interweavepress.com for info.

But don't give up. Take baby steps to learn. Some of the most famous loom
makers today started where you are at now. I look forward to seeing your
first loom that you build!

In Service,

Xene