Bards - For all Storytellers

Claudia T Smith hastur at chickmail.com
Tue Aug 1 18:26:23 PDT 2000

Greetings:

"When people told of their past with stories, lived their present with stories, and told of the future with stories, a special place was kept by the fireplace for the Storyteller."

With these words, the Jim Henson Creature shop would introduce The Storyteller - a british made-for-TV show that featured all the talents of the Creature Shop and the talents of John Hirt as the Storyteller.  Unfortunately, no one got it when it came out, so there were only 9 episodes.  Later, there were 4 episodes of "The Storyteller: Greek Myths" (starring Michael Gimbone).

HBO Family is currently airing these 13 episodes on Wednesdays at 4pm (Central time).  If you are a bard, you need to see these.  Get a friend to tape them for you if you don't get the channel.  The stories are perfect, showing what you can do when you take liberties, and tell a good tale.

I realize that this is not the best venue to do a review of a TV show, but I had to.  It is very rare when the medium can show a storyteller new tricks, new techniques, and different ways of telling a tale so that the same words have new meanings.  Also, I have never before seen a visual medium so eloquently convey words.  When you watch, you find that the story is what carries you - the pictures are what you are already envisioning in your mind.

Hirt and Gimbone use their voices to pull you into the tale, tugging gently on your aural cavity until your entire head is filled with magic, wonder, and the big question, "And then what happened?" The voice of Brian Henson as the audience asks the questions you want to ask, offering the storyteller the emotions you want him to know you feel, and, occasionally, pulling you out of the tale long enough to realize just how incredible this experience really is.

The stories are based on the ancient folklore of Europe, or the Greek Mythology.  And, best of all, even when you catch changes to the tale, it's all right.  The changes are logical.  And sometimes, if it makes sense, characters die.

So, watch, revel and enjoy.  And archive if you get a chance.  Something this wonderful cannot last forever.

********
OK. Blatant plug for this one, and if you don't like plugs, please just go to the next message:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-4684835-2767336

You can purchase the video's if you like here.  Unfortunately, not all of the series is available on VHS yet. But I've seen all the episodes that are and am verily impressed.

- Morgianna Alhazred
 Zygany Tribe of Ferenczy
 Bard of the Southern Region
 Bard of Elfsea
---
-Claudia T. Smith
"Never forget; computers were designed to make our lives easier."

chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com