Bards - feed back needed

kyleena of the rom kyleena_of_the_rom at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:08:40 PDT 2000

Greetings Willow from Kyleena of the Rom,
   When I joined the SCA, the atmosphere of a feast was FELT upon entering
the hall. The decor helped, but it was the role playing that made it seem
real.  When the role playing got easier, people started to recreate the
prejudices and darkness of the times they were portraying....This is where
the Camelot-inspired "Dream" is suppose to be superimposed over the
"realistic" characters we are creating.
   Idealistic persona play helps us to bring to light the best of the human
race everywhere. It is positive, and often awe inspiring. But it is not
always taught to new members when they join. I guess that is the job of the
"Old Blood" members. They are the ones who realize and feel the absense of
the "dream" nowadays.

   I was surprised to discover that last year when I finally donned my
"accent" people treated me differently. People who had known me for many
years seemed to step back and became almost suspicious. I had to literally
slip in and out of character to put them at ease and get them use to it. But
people who didn't know me really enjoyed the interplay. It opened a whole
world of period conversation. Instead of mundane gossip, period subjects
became more prevailant. It is easier to accomplish what we are trying to do
here if everyone is involved, but even Queen Ann's Guide stated that the SCA
  was big enough to allow everyone to do as little or much as they wanted to
do towards it....
therefore,perhaps the persona police should step back and re evaluate what
they are complaining about.  Is it the persona play itself? ...or the lack
of dreamweaving involved....maybe they don't know the difference. (Strangely
enough,nobody has complained about my persona play to my face.Probably
because I carry no political clout,or because I am a merchant--these are
Gypsy accomplishments too,by the way.)
   But every time that I have walked away from the SCA I have missed what I
have found there...good creative people working towards perpetuating the
best of what we could have been, and still should be.
   Thus is my opinion.....see you at KyleenaMart at Gothic.

                                  L.Kyleena of the Rom,
                                  --a Gypsy in Camelot