Fw: Re: Bards - history of college involvement in competitions

kyleena of the rom kyleena_of_the_rom at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:36:15 PST 2000

Greetings Willow from Kyleena,

   Thankyou for the history.  It certainly does bring things up to date. As
for my opinion...hmmm. Two things come to mind.
  The first is that the bardic arts are not recognized as being important to
the society.  When shires start out, they rush about to learn fighting and
costume and basic organizational skills.  There are requirements to be met
for kingdom to promote and recognize them.  It is not until much,much later
that people who entertain are usually acknowledged, much less trained. They
fend for themselves by happenstance unless they come across someone who is
experienced and dedicated to the art.
   At events, I have seen bardic competions completely deleted before-or
cancelled during- an event for lack of interest or time.  How many quality
fighters would we have if this was the field that they performed on? Our new
bards are not sought out and nurtured by kingdom.
   The second is that there is no "bardic office" at local levels. To my
knowledge, the titled bard of each group is nothing more than someone who
has won a title for the year. He/she does not even have to be from that
area. So often, aspiring bards from little places do not even have access to
him/her. He/she is charged to hold the next competition (and has a year to
figure that out--like you said).  I have seen some of them bring much honor
to this title I respect them greatly for it.  But our society, more and more
has not even been educated to give them the respect of silence when they
perform.  I have even seen kings who "did not want to be held hostage" at
feasts to a performance, and I have looked up from a conversation (I sit at
the back of the rooms at court--easier to flee if I have to..) to realize
that there are performers before the crown hard at it--no announcement to
the audience--hense no respect or even acknowledgement.  Since this is
acceptable to Crowns, it is a good example of how populace should behave.
(And yes, I know how period this behavior is. I can document it, but I
thought that the Camelot concept was what set us apart/above other
organizations.)  --easy for me to say,I'm sure, but it is the only reason
that I can't be driven away.
   So first we have no voice, and then no teeth, that we survive at all is a
credit to the individuals themselves, because they provide us with our
history, our dreams, and our values at local levels. Idle hands make for the
devil's work. The same can be said for places without entertainment and
inspiration....
  If the College wants to be a political go between between what we need or
what the powers-that-be  envision us to be, then that could prove really
helpful. Each kingdom's bards should be their homefront defense against the
loss of ideals and values.  The opening of this website can help close up
any other gaps.  (Hard copy can be made available through us for those who
don't know it exists....)
   As for competitions, perhaps the college could provide all the Ministers
of A&S with needed information for bardic 101. It is the duty of this
officer to provide such things, but it is easier and more likely that they
would do so if they have access to it.  Even the history of the bardic
college can help a new bard to realize the complexity of the situation. That
also works within the existing order of things, but I think that there
should be a local bardic officer for these things though I doubt that will
ever happen.
   So much for my thoughts on the subject. Now I will respectfully apologize
if I've inadvertantly offended anyone....and I will,yet again, step down
from the soapbox. Thankyou for asking my opinion, Dutchess, though I am sure
that it is probably chocked full of redundancies-as better people than I
have most likely addressed this subject many,many times.

         Til next time, may you travel safely and surely onwards,
                 L. Kyleena of the Rom