Bards - Re: Bardic College involvement in competitions

Jesus Cavazos toshirokoi at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:32:24 PST 2000

>From: "kyleena of the rom" <kyleena_of_the_rom at hotmail.com>
>To: bards at ansteorra.org
>Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Bards - history of college involvement in competitions
>Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:36:15 CST
>
>Greetings Willow from Kyleena,
>
>  The first is that the bardic arts are not recognized as being important
>to the society.   The second is that there is no "bardic office" at local
>levels.

    Major snip.

>   As for competitions, perhaps the college could provide all the Ministers
>of A&S with needed information for bardic 101. It is the >duty of this
>officer to provide such things, but it is easier and >more likely that they
>would do so if they have access to it.

    Another major snip.

>         Til next time, may you travel safely and surely onwards,
>                 L. Kyleena of the Rom

I have to agree with some of what Kyleena-san has said.  Bards don't get any
respect.  We are an aspect of the Society that is unimportant to most of
those who don't participate.  We are cancelled,  rescheduled,  moved,  cut
short,  and just ignored.

Bard,  minstrals,  and all sorts of performers were essential in the middle
ages.  They carried news from other parts of their kingdom and even other
kingdoms.  They told of wars,  plagues,  coronations,  and history.  They
were that special something that gave the drury life of the everyday peasant
something to look forward to.  At times they held great power in court.  At
other times they were no better than thieves.  Still, they were important
for to history.

But to most in the Society we're something that takes away from the
important stuff--whatever that might be to the individual.
On this I agree with Kyleena-san.

As to a local office for bardic,  I have to disagree.  We already have more
offices than we need.  It seems each interest group wants to be apart from
every other group there is.
Yes,  I agree we need to be represented.  Yes,  I agree we should be
acknowledged for the history,  stories,  songs,  and poems we tell to
inspire others.  And yes,  I think we need a central place we can go to for
help.  The Bardic College is a great idea.

But I think bardic competitions should be under A&S.  They already have an
infrastructure we can make use of.  The Bardic College can advise and direct
the way competions are run, help with documentation and research, advise the
judges on what to look for.

I'm not saying we must do things the way I see them, but the views of all
those on the list should be listened to.  The discussion of ideas can only
help make us stronger.

Toshiro Koi

Ansteorra

"The Fields are green,