Bards - Stage Fright

Marlin Stout ldcharls at swbell.net
Fri Jan 14 06:57:13 PST 2000

Kate Norris wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I am wondering what methods the bards on this list use to combat stage
> fright.  FOr those who feel it every time you get up how do you deal with it
> so it doesn't hurt your performance?  For those of you who no longer fear
> having all eyes upon you how did you reach this point?  Stage fright has
> been my constant enemy for years now both mundanely and in the SCA, and I
> would like to find some way to conquer it so that I may more fully enjoy
> performing.
>
> In Gratitude,
> Anezka z Rozmitala

  I think we all get a case of nerves just before a performance (some
more pronounced than others). I know I do! When I'm feeling especially
nervous, I try to concentrate on my piece, and on how much I enjoy
performing. It does get easier the more you perform, since we tend to
get more confident as we gain experience. However, I still feel a few
butterflies just before I begin.
  You can also, with practice, learn to use the nervousness to 'fuel'
your performance. Fright is a stress response inherited from our
cave-man ancestors, intended to give extra energy you'll need to
outfight or outrun that sabretooth tiger behind you. Once you learn to
use this energy, rather than letting it run wild, you may find you feel
more confident and in control, and less scared.
  Hope this helps, and I'll be looking forward to hearing you perform
sometime.

Ld Charles MacKinnon
Bryn Gwlad