Bards - Stage Fright

Jesus Cavazos toshirokoi at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 09:39:15 PST 2000

>From: "Kate Norris" <madrigali at crosswinds.net>
>
>Greetings everyone,
>
>I am wondering what methods the bards on this list use to combat stage
>fright.
>
>In Gratitude,
>Anezka z Rozmitala

Picture your audience in their underwear.  No,  no,  no,  just joking.
I don't know if this will work for you,  but it worked for me.  I would
practice the stories by telling them to myself.  For myself.  And I would
practice how I was going to say each part.  Each movement,  gesture,  each
facial expression.  I would repeat them over and over until I could tell
them with just a little concentration.  Then I told the stories to my wife
and/or kids to see how they reacted.  My wife did a lot in telling what I
was doing wrong and what worked for her.  I asked her opinion on ideas on
how to do the piece.  And I listened.  Find someone who's opinion you trust.
  Ask them to help you.  Listen.  And practice.
When I first started performing,  I looked above the head of the audience.
About a foot.  Didn't think about them.  I just told the story to myself
with enough voice projection to be heard just outside the circle.  And I
would turn in different directions to make the people feel I was including
all of them.  Not just one area or person.  I would think how it felt to
tell the piece to my family.  And I would carry that feeling to the center
of the circle.
As I got more comfortable in front of an audience,  I started looking at one
person and tell the story to them.  Then I switch to an other person to
include them.  This brings the audience into your story or poem or song.
But after all the circles I've been in,  I still prefer to be on a list.
Because then they call on me to perform.  If I don't have someone tell me to
get up there and perform,  I find it very,  very hard to get up there and
perform.  I still get stage fright.  Before each piece you'll find me off to
one side telling the story to myself to calm myself down.  It keeps me from
thinking about what I'm about to do.  It also helps me remember the entire
piece.
So I guess what I'm saying is;  practice,  practice,  practice.  Get someone
you trust to help you.  Practice some more.  Then get someone to push you
out there.  Once you're out there,  you have to do something to keep from
looking silly.
But more importantly,  do pieces that touch you.  Do pieces with emotions.
Love,  hate,  pride,  sorrow,  humor.  The more memorable pieces are the
ones that touch your heart and soul.  The great warrior fought by himself
against a whole army,  your kinfdom won the war,  the lady lose her love in
battle.  But whatever you do,  feel the emotion of the piece.  Because if
you don't feel the emotion,  neither will your audience.  And as this
emotion fills your whole body,  you won't have room to feel scared.
I hope this helps you.  And I hope to see you at some circle one of these
days.

Toshiro Koi